Subject: Summary of Changes to the Packages Collection in March 2005
To: None <netbsd-announce@netbsd.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: netbsd-announce
Date: 05/10/2005 16:19:41
Summary of Changes to the Packages Collection in March 2005

By my calculations, at the end of March 2005, there were 5377 packages
in the Packages Collection, up from 5331 the previous month, a rise of
46. However, after a recount spurred upon me by Andrew Brown, who
pointed out that I'd been counting the number of distinct packages,
but missing out packages where was more than one version in pkgsrc, like
apache. So I now declare the number of packages in pkgsrc to be 5439 at
the end of March 2005. Until the next recount, that is.

Notable additions include:  arka, byacc, DatLib, DatUtil,
dsniff-nox11, e16menuedit2, gaim-otr, ggiterm, gnome-backgrounds,
gnome-doc-utils, gnome-menus, gopchop, gtk2-engines-clearlooks,
gtkhtml36, gxemul, ja-sazanami-ttf, kde3-i18n-br, kde3-i18n-fy,
kde3-i18n-ga, kde3-i18n-lt, kde3-i18n-mk, kde3-i18n-se, kochi-ttf,
koffice-i18n-ja, koffice-i18n-lo, koffice-i18n-mt, koffice-i18n-nb,
koffice-i18n-nn, koffice-i18n-pt, koffice-i18n-pt_BR, koffice-i18n-sl,
koffice-i18n-sr, koffice-i18n-tg, koffice-i18n-th, koffice-i18n-tr,
koffice-i18n-ven, koffice-i18n-xh, koffice-i18n-zh_CN,
koffice-i18n-zh_TW, koffice-i18n-zu, lbdb, libggimisc, libgiigic,
libotr, lucy, MAMEDiff, mdf2iso, openttd, p5-Carp-Clan,
p5-Class-Autouse, p5-Class-MakeMethods, p5-ExtUtils-AutoInstall,
p5-Net-Dev-MIBLoadOrder, ROMBuild, ROMInfo, ruby-doc-stdlib,
ruby-imlib2, ruby-redcloth, ruby-xmlscan, ruby16-base, ruby16-digest,
ruby18-base, shapelib, socket++, sparsehash, sqlite3-tcl,
sylpheed-devel, systrace-policies, totem, totem-xine, turba, wdic,
wiliki, xentools20, ximian-connector, xmms-wma, and ZIPIdent.

Notable updates include:  aalib, aalib-x11, abiword, abiword-plugins,
amarok, anthy, ap-jk, arla, arts, asc, at-spi, atk, avr-gcc, avrdude,
bind, bittorrent, bittorrent-gui, blender, bluefish, bmp, bogofilter,
bomberclone, bug-buddy, bzflag, cairo, cfs, cgiirc, cgoban-java,
clamsmtp, cmp3, courier-authlib, courier-imap, courier-maildir,
cpuflags, crimsonfields, crypto++, cssc, curl, cvs, cygwin_lib,
cyrus-imapd, dasher, DatLib, DatUtil, dbh, dbus, dbus-glib,
dict-client, digest, digikam, digikamimageplugins, dirmngr, djbdns,
dnstop, docbook-website, doclifter, dsniff, dspam, eb, eel2, efax-gtk,
emacs, emacs-nox11, enscript, eog2, epiphany, epiphany-extensions,
ethereal, evolution, evolution-data-server, evolution-webcal,
file-roller, firefox, firefox-gtk1, firefox-gtk2-bin, flim, fltk,
fluxbox, flyspell, fontconfig, fontforge, fprot-workstation-bin,
freepwing, freeradius, fspanel, g-wrap, gaim, gal2, galway, gattrib,
gauche, gcalctool, gconf-editor, GConf2, GConf2-ui, gdm, geda,
geda-docs, geda-examples, geda-symbols, geda-utils, gedit, gerbv,
getmail, gftp, gftp-gtk1, ggv2, gimp-docs, gkrellm, gkrellm-leds,
gkrellm-server, gkrellm-share, gkrellm-volume, glib2, glpk, gmp, gnet,
gnetlist, gnome, gnome-base, gnome-core, gnome-desktop, gnome-devel,
gnome-icon-theme, gnome-keyring, gnome-mag, gnome-netstatus,
gnome-panel, gnome-session, gnome-themes, gnome-vfs2, gnome-vfs2-cdda,
gnome-vfs2-smb, gnome2-applets, gnome2-control-center, gnome2-games,
gnome2-media, gnome2-pixmaps, gnome2-system-monitor, gnome2-terminal,
gnome2-utils, gnopernicus, gnucash, gnupg, gok, Gorm, gpdf, gpg2dot,
gq, graphviz, gschem, gst-plugins, gst-plugins-artsd,
gst-plugins-cdparanoia, gst-plugins-dvdnav, gst-plugins-dvdread,
gst-plugins-esound, gst-plugins-faad, gst-plugins-flac,
gst-plugins-gnomevfs, gst-plugins-lame, gst-plugins-mad,
gst-plugins-mpeg2dec, gst-plugins-ogg, gst-plugins-opengl,
gst-plugins-oss, gst-plugins-png, gst-plugins-theora,
gst-plugins-vorbis, gsymcheck, gtk-doc, gtk2+, gtk2-engines,
gtkglarea, gtkhtml36, gtksourceview, gucharmap, gxmame, horde, host,
howl, html2text, icu, ImageMagick, imap-uw, imap-uw-utils, imlib2,
imp, ipsec-tools, ircservices, irssi, ivtools, ja-mh6, joe, kde3,
kde3-i18n-ar, kde3-i18n-bg, kde3-i18n-bn, kde3-i18n-bs, kde3-i18n-ca,
kde3-i18n-cs, kde3-i18n-cy, kde3-i18n-da, kde3-i18n-de,
kde3-i18n-en_GB, kde3-i18n-eo, kde3-i18n-es, kde3-i18n-et,
kde3-i18n-eu, kde3-i18n-fi, kde3-i18n-fr, kde3-i18n-he, kde3-i18n-hi,
kde3-i18n-hsb, kde3-i18n-hu, kde3-i18n-is, kde3-i18n-it, kde3-i18n-ja,
kde3-i18n-nb, kde3-i18n-nds, kde3-i18n-nl, kde3-i18n-nn, kde3-i18n-pa,
kde3-i18n-pl, kde3-i18n-pt, kde3-i18n-pt_BR, kde3-i18n-ro,
kde3-i18n-ru, kde3-i18n-sk, kde3-i18n-sl, kde3-i18n-sr,
kde3-i18n-sr_Latn, kde3-i18n-sv, kde3-i18n-ta, kde3-i18n-tg,
kde3-i18n-tr, kde3-i18n-uk, kde3-i18n-zh_CN, kdeaccessibility3,
kdeaddons3, kdeadmin3, kdeartwork3, kdebase3, kdeedu3, kdegames3,
kdegraphics3, kdelibdocs3, kdelibs3, kdemultimedia3, kdenetwork3,
kdepim3, kdesdk3, kdetoys3, kdeutils3, kdevelop, kdevelop-base,
kdewebdev, koth, lesstif, libarchive, libffi, libgdiplus, libgeda,
libggi, libggigcp, libggimisc, libggiwmh, libgii, libglade2, libgnome,
libgnomecanvas, libgnomecups, libgnomeprint, libgnomeprintui,
libgnomeui, libgtop2, libidn, libkver, libltdl, libmpeg2, libnet,
libnids, libol, libopendaap, libpixman, librsvg2, librsvg2-gtk2,
libsigc++2, libsoup-devel, libtool, libtool-base, libtool-info,
libwnck, libxfce4gui, libxfce4mcs, libxfce4util, libxklavier, libxml2,
libxslt, lmclock, mailman, maradns, mathomatic, mc, memtester,
metacity, mew, mhash, mklivecd, mksunbootcd, mkvtoolnix, mlterm, mmg,
mono, monotone, monotone-server, mozilla, mozilla-bin, mozilla-gtk2,
mpi-ch, mysql-client, mysql-server, mysql4-client, mysql4-server,
mysqlcc, nail, nautilus, nautilus-cd-burner, ncmpc, net-snmp,
netbsd-tap, netbsd-www, netpbm, nrg2iso, ns-remote, nxtvepg, ocaml,
ocaml-graphics, octave-current, openexr, openmotif, openssl, osh,
p5-Bit-Vector, p5-Cache-Simple-TimedExpiry, p5-Class-MethodMaker,
p5-Curses, p5-DBIx-SearchBuilder, p5-HTML-TableExtract,
p5-I18N-LangTags, p5-Image-Imlib2, p5-IO-Util, p5-Locale-Maketext,
p5-Locale-Maketext-Lexicon, p5-Module-CoreList, p5-Module-ScanDeps,
p5-Net-DNS, p5-Regexp-Common, p5-SVN-Mirror, p5-SVN-Simple,
p5-Term-ProgressBar, p5-Term-ReadKey, p5-Text-Shellwords, p5-Want,
p5-xmltv, pango, papaya, pbzip2, pcb-current, phpldapadmin, pkgconfig,
pkglint, pkg_install, posh, postfix, putty, qmail-run, quagga,
ratpoison, rdesktop, realplayer-codecs, riece, ROMBuild, rox, rox-lib,
rt3, rtf-tools, ruby18-base, screws, scummvm, SDL, semi,
shared-mime-info, skk, smartmontools, snort, socat, spamass-milter,
sqlite3, squid, sqwebmail, sr, sudo, sun-jdk15, sun-jre15,
suse91_base, svk, sylpheed, sylpheed-claws,
sylpheed-claws-dillo-viewer, sylpheed-claws-image-viewer,
sylpheed-claws-trayicon, sylpheed-devel, tads, tcpreplay, tcsh,
thunderbird, thunderbird-gtk2, tiff, tinyscheme, tkdiff, tla, tor,
tunesbrowser, uim, unace, unalz, urban, url2pkg, verilog, vim, vino,
vte, wesnoth, wine, wl, wol, wu-ftpd, wxhaskell, xemacs-current,
xentools20, xfce4, xfce4-appfinder, xfce4-calendar, xfce4-desktop,
xfce4-fm, xfce4-gtk2-engine-2.2.6, xfce4-icon-theme, xfce4-iconbox,
xfce4-mcs-manager, xfce4-mcs-plugins, xfce4-mixer, xfce4-panel,
xfce4-print, xfce4-session, xfce4-systray, xfce4-toys,
xfce4-trigger-launcher, xfce4-utils, xfce4-weather-plugin, xfce4-wm,
xfce4-wm-themes, ximian-connector, xine-lib, xli, xlockmore, xmms,
xmms-flac, xorg, xorg-imake, xorg-server, xpaint, xpm, xscreensaver,
xscreensaver-demo, and zenity.

I had a huge amount of trouble picking the Package of the Month this
month.  pkgsrc/audio/amarok was recommended to me, I installed it, and
have come to love it, as I now use it to listen to music.  There are
downsides to it, though, in that, if you're not a kde user, its total
size is 270 MB, along with pre-requisite packages, and that may be too
high a price to pay for an application which can use a number of
output engines, can download CD cover artwork, and lyrics to songs,
and has just the amount of eyecandy that's necessary without being too
intrusive.

Instead, I've decided to award pkgsrc/sysutils/dvd+rw-tools, despite
the fact that it's so difficult to type.  I've been using it to write
DVDs for a new business venture just recently, and it is invaluable -
one of these tools that I simply couldn't do without.

Alistair Crooks
http://www.alistaircrooks.com/agc.html
Thu Apr 28 09:50:14 BST 2005