Subject: Announcing NetBSD 1.6
To: None <netbsd-announce@netbsd.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-announce
Date: 09/14/2002 12:45:42
                   Announcing NetBSD 1.6
                   =====================

The NetBSD Project is pleased to announce that release 1.6 of the
NetBSD Operating System is now available.

NetBSD 1.6 continues our long tradition with major improvements in
file system and memory management performance, major security
enhancements, and support for many new platforms and peripherals.

The NetBSD 1.6 release contains complete binary releases for
thirty nine different system architectures.  Complete source and
binaries for are available for download at many sites around the
world. A list of download sites via FTP, AnonCVS, SUP, and other
methods may be found at:

	http://www.netbsd.org/mirrors/

For further information about NetBSD 1.6, supported architectures,
changes between NetBSD 1.5 and 1.6, and how to obtain NetBSD is
available in the full release announcement which may be found at:

	http://www.netbsd.org/Releases/formal-1.6/NetBSD-1.6.html

Acknowledgments
===============

The NetBSD Foundation would like to thank all those who have
contributed code, hardware, documentation, funds, colocation for
our servers, web pages and other documentation, release engineering,
and other resources over the years.  More information on contributors
is available at:

	http://www.netbsd.org/contrib/

We would like to especially thank the University of California at
Berkeley and the GNU Project for particularly large subsets of code
that we use, and the Internet Software Consortium, Redback Networks
and the Helsinki University of Technology for current colocation
services.