Subject: OpenBSD moderation removal
To: None <announce@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: netbsd-announce
Date: 07/30/2002 10:54:50
Greetings,

As some of you may have noticed, the NetBSD mailing lists have been
configured to selectively moderate postings originating from the
"openbsd.org" domain. This rule was instated to protect the NetBSD
mailing lists from abuse or denial of service attacks by an OpenBSD
developer (Theo De Raadt), who some time ago threatened to attack
the NetBSD project machines. In a reaction to this threat, domains
under his control were blackholed and moderation of the mailing
lists was activated.

Unfortunately this kind of moderation had the unfortunate side
effect of impeding communication between OpenBSD and NetBSD developers
(unnecessary rejection due to moderator absense, approval delays,
etc.). It was not our intent; it was assumed that most OpenBSD
developers would not post from their @openbsd.org addresses, just
as most NetBSD developers do not use their @netbsd.org addresses
to send mail.

At this point in time, we have decided that the inconvenience to the
OpenBSD developers greatly outweighs the risk of postings in poor
taste from a single individual, thus we are removing the selective
moderation against the "openbsd.org" domain effective immediately.
Please note that the NetBSD mailing lists have always been moderated
against spam since they allow postings from non-members. Such
moderation will remain in place.

We would like to remind our mailing list participants, that they
should construct sentences with greater care, refrain from using
foul language, and stop using sentences that can be taken as threats
or insults.

If anyone is found to abuse our mailing lists, we will moderate
his postings to the lists and announce the moderation to that
individual.

Christos Zoulas
(for NetBSD core)