Subject: Summary of changes to the NetBSD Packages Collection in January 2001
To: None <netbsd-announce@netbsd.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: netbsd-announce
Date: 02/21/2001 10:03:41
Changes to the NetBSD Packages Collection in January 2001

By my calculations, there were 1802 packages in the packages collection
as of January 31st, 2001.

The only major change to the packages collection itself is the
modification to the shared object handling in bsd.pkg.mk to be based
around ELF packing lists.

Notable packages added include:  aterm, some cross-compi.lation
packages, httptunnel, imap-uw-utils, linuxppc, manedit, ncftp3,
netsaint and plugins, pakemon, pforth, rlab, rpm2pkg, rtfm, scanssh,
squirrelmail, tcpdump, tcp_wrappers, wmmixer, xalan-c, and xerces-c,.

Notable updates to packages in the collection include:  adzap, amanda,
amaya, analog, ap-php4, aperture, bind4, bin8, bind9, bind9-current,
bladeenc, cdd, cups, cweb, cyrus-sasl, delegate, ethereal, fltk,
gensolpkg, gif2png, gnapster, gnucash, gnupg, gqmpeg, grace,
ImageMagick, kakasi, libnasl and nessus, libpcap, links, lyx, mhonarc,
micq, mozilla, namazu, nawk, opera, various perl5 packages, pchar,
pdflib, php4 and related packages, pkgdiff, pkglint, plex86, plplot,
postfix-current, qt2 and related packages, rp-pppoe, rpm2pkg,
sendmail, setiathome, skill, smalltalk, smtpfeed, stunnel, suse_base,
url2pkg, uvscan-dat, vm, vtun, wget, xbattbar, xfce, xpkgwedge, xpp
and zebra.

And we bid a fond farewell to our framemaker package, whose licence
time had run out.

The Package of the Month award goes to: cups, nominated by Bill Squier.
"Cups is a nice fire-and-forget printing system.  I did a make
install, loaded cupsd and have instant access to all the printers in
the office with file-format conversions automatically. It supports
things like the System V lp(1) options, and you can even set default
options for each printer (personal) plus you can monitor queues
through a web page, etc."

Finally, an entreaty to remember audit-packages, which may make things
easier for you when trying to work out whether you're vulnerable to a
particular security exploit.

Alistair G. Crooks
Mon Feb 19 07:15:44 GMT 2001