Subject: NetBSD 1.4.3_ALPHA test version available
To: None <netbsd-announce@netbsd.org>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: netbsd-announce
Date: 07/13/2000 19:38:13
Hi,

Test distributions of NetBSD 1.4.3_ALPHA are now available for
the i386, alpha, macppc, hp300 and sparc ports.  You'll find
these here:

   ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/*/snapshot/20000707-1.4.3_ALPHA/

(replace the "*" in the above URL with the port name from the above
list).

If you want to do an in-place upgrade (new kernel and then install
new user-land binaries) instead of a wholesale (re)installation, you
should note that you can do that only if you already run 1.4.1,
1.4.2 or an earlier release, but *not* if your current kernel and
user-land binaries is built from NetBSD-current code from after the
initial branch point for netbsd-1-4.  If "uname -r" says that you
are running "1.4<letter(s)>", e.g. 1.4P, your kernel is from
NetBSD-current after netbsd-1-4 was branched, and you cannot do an
in-place upgrade without inflicting grief on yourself.

Please also note the following:

 o Some of the architectures are missing some of the install bits,
   macppc and hp300 in particular, and the alpha bits are
   incomplete.  I'm currently looking into fixing this for the
   architectures I build, and will prompt the other builders to
   submit similar build fixes.

 o The sparc port is missing the "security" parts, as I bumped into
   a problem with my build tree (now sorted out).  The security part
   for the sparc port will be uploaded when it's ready.

If you spot any serious problems with this code, please submit
formal problem reports using "send-pr".

Best regards,

- H=E5vard