Subject: How the change in USA crypto export laws affects NetBSD
To: None <announce@netbsd.org>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-announce
Date: 02/03/2000 17:55:54
The core team's consensus decision on how NetBSD should react in
light of the apparently changed crypto laws is as follows:

* Ensure that the said laws are in effect, and that we are permitted
  to export crypto and have USA developers work on foreign crypto.

* Ensure that the appropriate paperwork is submitted to fulfil any
  requirements to permit the above to occur.

* Merge any salient code from crypto-us into crypto-intl, and maintain
  one code base for crypto, in a repository which is off-shore from USA.
  Deprecate crypto-us.
  Rationale:
	- USA developers are allowed to work on foreign crypto source.
	- USA developers are allowed to re-export foreign crypto in
	  source and binary.
	- We're better off in the worst case if the USA government
	  changes its stance to be less helpful.

Caveat: This position is based on none of the above resulting in
	behaviour which is contrary to the new laws.

Please direct debate on crypto issues:	  <tech-crypto@netbsd.org>
Questions regarding the Project's stance: <core@netbsd.org>