Subject: How the change in USA crypto export laws affects NetBSD
To: None <firstname.lastname@example.org>
From: David Brownlee <email@example.com>
Date: 02/03/2000 17:55:54
The core team's consensus decision on how NetBSD should react in
light of the apparently changed crypto laws is as follows:
* Ensure that the said laws are in effect, and that we are permitted
to export crypto and have USA developers work on foreign crypto.
* Ensure that the appropriate paperwork is submitted to fulfil any
requirements to permit the above to occur.
* Merge any salient code from crypto-us into crypto-intl, and maintain
one code base for crypto, in a repository which is off-shore from USA.
- USA developers are allowed to work on foreign crypto source.
- USA developers are allowed to re-export foreign crypto in
source and binary.
- We're better off in the worst case if the USA government
changes its stance to be less helpful.
Caveat: This position is based on none of the above resulting in
behaviour which is contrary to the new laws.
Please direct debate on crypto issues: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Questions regarding the Project's stance: <email@example.com>