Subject: "UNIX on Intel" panel discussion at BayLISA on 17 September
To: None <netbsd-announce@netbsd.org>
From: David Wolfskill <david@dhw.vip.best.com>
List: netbsd-announce
Date: 09/14/1998 20:42:02
[Herb Peyerl suggested I post this here; since our intent is to be more
inclusive, vs. exclusive, I'm doing so even though I don't actually use
NetBSD myself -- though I certainly make use of contributions from the
NetBSD community.... -- dhw]

Thought this might be of interest to a few folks here.

I've mentioned it informally in other venues, but also thought it
merits a wider audience.

BayLISA -- the Bay area sysadmin group (see http://www.baylisa.org/)
-- will be having a panel discussion on the care & feeding of Intel
boxen running UNIX(-like) operating systems on Thursday, 17 September.

The panelists are:

	* BSD/OS        Paul Vixie
	* FreeBSD       Matt Dillon
	* Linux         Jim Dennis
	* NetBSD	Jason Thorpe
	* Solaris x86   Bob Polowada

[My apologies if I scrambled anyone's name....  :-(]

Please note that the purpose is not for engaging in evangelism, per se
-- disparaging remarks about other OSs aren't useful for this effort.
Rather, the intent is to discuss how to treat the machines so they can &
will provide mission-critical services reliably and well.

The meeting is to begin at 7:30 PM; the location is in Santa Clara, at
the Techmart (on Great America Parkway, just "east" of Tasman).

The meeting is free and open to the public.

I'll be happy to provide additional information as requested.

Please feel free to pass the word along to others who you think might be
interested.

Thanks,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill				david@dhw.vip.best.com
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to