Subject: USB support
To: None <netbsd-announce@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
List: netbsd-announce
Date: 07/13/1998 00:19:19
I have just added USB (Universal Serial Bus) support to NetBSD-current.

What we have:
* A UHCI (the Intel standard) host controller driver.
* A OHCI (everyone else's standard) host controller driver.
* A host controller independent framework for handling the
  devices.  This framework presents a mostly USBDI compliant
  interface to the drivers.
+ Support for all kinds of transfers (control, interrupt, bulk,
  and isochronous).
* Power budgeting.
+ Bandwidth budgeting.
* A hub driver.
* A mouse driver.
* A keyboard driver for keyboards supporting the boot protocol.
* A generic HID (Human Interface Device) driver for
  those devices that do not have a special driver.
* A printer driver.
+ A totally generic driver to handle leftover devices.
+ An audio driver.

[The + means work in progress.]

What we don't have:
- Proper handling of devices that are disconnected.  NetBSD lacks
  the functionality for this.
- Suspend/resume handling.  I think this is simply a matter of
  sitting down and writing some code.
- A communication class driver.
- Drivers for a lot of proprietary devices.
- Loadable device drivers.

        -- Lennart Augustsson