Subject: RC5 cracking on/for NetBSD
To: None <netbsd-announce@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: netbsd-announce
Date: 06/10/1998 21:10:05
I am running a team on the distributed.net's rc5-64 encryption cracking
effort.  The intent of their project is to crack RC5 with 64 bit key
length.  My intent is to get the "NetBSD Users" team in the top 100.

If you would like to help out by donating your unused CPU time it would
help slide the team up faster.  The client is very well behaved; I run it
on all my machines and don't notice it other than the load being at 1.0
constantly.

Source is not distributed, but binary clients for NetBSD/{sparc,i386,68k,arm}
can be found on
	http://www.distributed.net/clients.html

If you have a CPU type that isn't supported, and can provide an account,
I can build one for it.  Also, if you don't trust their binaries but
would trust mine, I can hand out the builds I've made for the arm32 and
i386 ports.

For general project info, see
	http://www.distributed.net/rc5/

Once you start up the client (and you will start up the client, right?)
make certain your email address is used for results, and then visit
after 03:00 GMT check out the rc5 stats page at
	http://rc5stats.distributed.net/teamlist.html
to search for your email address, and associate your address with
team 4420, "NetBSD Users"

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

--Michael