Subject: FTP, SUP, and mail service problems
To: None <netbsd-announce@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Charles Hannum <Charles-Hannum@deshaw.com>
List: netbsd-announce
Date: 10/15/1995 16:11:06
Over the last couple of weeks we've experienced some problems with
these services.  We are in the process of fixing them, but given the
large distance between us and the fact that we all have full-time
jobs, this is taking some time.  Please bear with us.

For people who are interested, here's a short summary of the problems:

1) The disk on sun-lamp containing much of the FTP and SUP trees
stopped working.  We'd been planning to move the services off of
sun-lamp anyway; this simply sped up the process.

2) There seem to be network troubles between MCI and Net99 with regard
to routing for Best Internet, which is supplying the new FTP and SUP
machine.  I'm not sure what the status of this is.

3) The new machine was misconfigured such that it crashed once or
twice per day.  This has been fixed.

4) The disk hosting the FTP and SUP trees on the new machine died.  It
has been replaced.

5) A bug in majordomo ate about half of the mailing lists for about
one day.  They have been completely restored from backups and log
files.  (BTW, if anyone has suggestions on better mailing list
software, *please* let me know.)

In short, it's been a bad week.  We're still working out some nits in
the FTP and SUP service, but otherwise everything is back up.

If you have problems with these services, you should send mail to
root@netbsd.org or postmaster@netbsd.org; talking about it on mailing
lists is unlikely to help.