NetBSD-Advocacy archive

Re: Making a localized, educational live-usb version of Netbsd? Possible, and is worth it?

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 12:40:09PM +0100, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> On 28 March 2014 12:33, Brett Lymn <blymn%internode.on.net@localhost> wrote:
> >
> > Sort of:
> >
> > http://implementality.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/netbsd-on-stick.html
> >
> > There is also:
> >
> > http://wiki.netbsd.org/tutorials/how_to_install_netbsd_from_an_usb_memory_stick/
>

> Thanks, but neither links are relevant. The first one is a plain
> installation on a USB stick (as opposed to a proper live-usb system),

Well, I did say "sort of" - really all you need after a base install is
to configure X to start and perhaps a desktop environment from pkgsrc.
With modern Xorg the X session should just fire up though the display
may not be optimal on recent video hardware - even this is being fixed.
Only a few days ago code was committed to enable drm.

> the second is about installing "from" not "to" a memory stick.

Yes, sorry - that was my error.

--
Brett Lymn
Staple Guns: because duct tape doesn't make that KerCHUNK sound - xkcd.com