NetBSD-Advocacy archive

Re: BSDstats: New High Water Mark: 25 000+ Hosts Reporting In

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

As of November 3rd, 2008, the project has hit a new milestone of 25 000+ hosts reporting in, with a break down as follows:

          PC-BSD           17 454 hosts
          FreeBSD           5 526 hosts
          DesktopBSD        1 919 hosts
          NetBSD               86 hosts
          MirBSD               21 hosts
          OpenBSD              55 hosts
          DragonFly            26 hosts
          MidnightBSD          26 hosts
          GNU/kFreeBSD          2 hosts

We currently have hosts being reported in from 135 countries, with the top 10
being:

          United States           6 082
          Russian Federation      1 836
          Germany                 1 586
          Australia               1 341
          Ukraine                   997
          France                    930
          Japan                     898
          United Kingdom            791
          Canada                    767
          Brazil                    729

Project URL: http://www.bsdstats.org

Project Objective:

"The mission of this site is to compile semi-accurate numbers for advocacy and
marketing of the *BSD operating systems."

PC-BSD, to the best of our knowledge, is the only one that defaults to enabled, while the rest have to be enabled manually.

For FreeBSD users, you just need to install /usr/ports/sysutils/bsdstats to set things up.

If you aren't participating, we very much encourage you to start ... the report script is a shell script, so you can scan it to figure out what, exactly, is being sent in .. and there is only one level of reporting that is required, and that is Operating System + Version ... Device and Ports reporting are 100% optional ...

For those that are participating ... once more, thank you ... and spread the
word, we need more ...

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me ...

Aloha,

I have 10 FreeBSD servers and desktops in use here in Hawaii.

These are not on the list as I only have 4 servers that are up 24/7 and they are fire walled off with pf.

The 6 others are on a lan behind a Linux Freesco Firewall. Only 2 on 24/7 the rest are on an as used boot up basis.

How can I get them Listed?

  + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org +
  + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD 6.* - 7.* - 8.* +
  < email: noc%hdk5.net@localhost >