Subject: Re: Feedback from Systems/Munich
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Ulrich Habel <uli@habel.name>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 11/11/2007 11:35:30
--+QahgC5+KEYLbs62

> How are you progressing with this?
> There are already a large set of dmesgs at =20
> http://wiki.netbsd.se/Category:dmesg , do you think we should have a =20
> compatibility page in the wiki?

Yes - this is a must. I received a few dmesg lists and some feedback.
This is at least a start. I am still collecting feedback from the users,
however - there is one common sense.

NetBSD isn't the best for notebooks :) - ok, we all knew that. The pure
dmesg output doesn't help that much. For example, my IBM T23 is full of
recognized and configured hardware, however with NetBSD 4.0RC3 or
-current (doesn't matter) - apm, acpi seems to be in a broken state (at
least for me). Even if configured XF86 won't suspend the LCD display
which is (in my opinion) a must for a laptop. Suspending to RAM doesn't
work for me - it wakes up, however the consoles are scrambled with a
ascii pattern. I can't clear it and sometimes I am not able to shutdown
at all. This is not state of the art in late 2007.

Never mind, it's not that important - it's more important for NetBSD to
support other hardware - ppl. will switch to Linux or *BSD if their
laptop isn't supported well.

What I am doing is to set up a small list in the wiki with feedback. I
think I will be ready with it at the end of next week. My username is
Rhaen there.

There has been a posting for feedback on:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-i386/2007/11/02/0000.html

Regards
Uli

--+QahgC5+KEYLbs62