Subject: Re: Alright to Show NetBSD Screenshots on My Site?
To: Art Lemasters <develunix@gmail.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubertf@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 11/09/2007 10:08:33
On Thu, 8 Nov 2007, Art Lemasters wrote:
>  I would like to display a screenshot of a NetBSD X Windows
> display on my web site and discuss things about NetBSD (including
> some praise for developer efforts). The intent is non-commercial
> at this time. Is that alright, or does the Foundation prohibit
> that?

Christos already got you the "go ahead!" for that, I can only second that.
Feel free to let us know about your site once it's up, as we're always
curious about what people do with NetBSD - posting to this list is fine.

>  And for further reference (and unrelated to the question above
> for now), what are the civil legalities and policy regarding
> advertising and using NetBSD for developing and selling enhancing
> software with the system?

Regarding advertizing: "NetBSD" and its logo are registered trademarks. As
long as it's clear that you're not "The NetBSD Project" (or any of its
officially affiliated groups), I don't see much of a problem. For the logo
use, there's some lose policy of "use it, and if you earn lots of money,
share some". Nothing you should feel too pressed about. (If you're
interested in using the logo esp. on any products, feel free to contact
logo@NetBSD.org so you get this in an official fashion).

Regarding developing and software based on NetBSD: Just do it. Most of our
software is licensed under the BSD license, which permits modification
without the need for you to publish any of your modifications. Please
check carefully, as this does differ for some portions of the source code
(e.g. src/gnu, which is under the GPL). No licensing is needed from your
side. But if you make lots of money, you're again welcome to donate back.
:)

If you have further questions, please let me know.

  - Hubert