Subject: Re: Lack of info on ISO
To: Przemys?aw Pawe?czyk <pp@kv.net.pl>
From: David Maxwell <david@crlf.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/20/2007 19:33:22
On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 04:56:57PM -0500, Przemys?aw Pawe?czyk wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 12:04:12 -0500
> khym@azeotrope.org wrote:
> > CDs are explicitly mentioned.
> >
> > 1. Go to http://www.netbsd.org/
> > 2. Click on "How to get NetBSD"
> > 3. Click on "ISO-images" available for download.
> >
> > Very simple. Any common user who can read will be able to find it.
> > NetBSD CDs, i386 package CD, and i386 live CD are all available there.
>
> You are wrong. The right information about ISO is drowned by other stuff
> concerning "how to get NetBSD". You can be programmer genius but what
> is good or bad from PR perspective leave to me. ;-)

Well, 'You are wrong' is a bit of a strong statement. It's true that
they are available, and it is relatively simple to find them, but it
could be better.

> The whole gamut of ISOs is an excellent asset which should be exposed
> as NetBSD advantage.

I've had that thought before. I never quite resolved two issues. First,
how do you make it 'simple' to choose the right platform out of all the
ISOs available? Second, how do you spread the demand across the various
mirror servers?

I think at the _least_, the ISO mirror list should be moved onto a page
of its own, so it could have an introductory paragraph, and maybe even
a 'Get NetBSD Now!' link from the main page.

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Although some of you out
there might find a microwave oven controlled by a Unix system an attractive