Subject: Re: the sorry state of open source
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pbox.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/18/2007 07:31:10
On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 11:11:04AM -0700, Jan Schaumann wrote:
> Stefan 'Kaishakunin' Schumacher <stefan@net-tex.de> wrote:
> > Also sprach Hubert Feyrer (hubert@feyrer.de)

> > He never claimed that NetBSD is dead. He cited C. Hannum and stated that
> > he cannot "make any judgments on that one".
>
> That is correct, but he makes the citation for a reason.  It's a way of
> arguing that NetBSD is (at the very least) less than thriving without
> having to step up and say it yourself.
>
> I was suggesting that somebody point out to him the circumstances of
> Charles's comments.

The announcement of Charles's membership lapsing is in

	http://mail-index.NetBSD.org/netbsd-announce/2006/09/01/0000.html

Charles had been asked to sign a developer's agreement, as had every other
NetBSD developer, and he was unwilling to do that.

For almost 18 months prior to that, Charles's ssh access to all of the
project machines had been suspended, as described in the mail below
which I sent to an internal project list. The reason for the insistence
on a completed developer's agreement for people with write access to
the repositories is hopefully apparent.

As far as the "NetBSD is dead" thread - if anyone thinks that, they
have obviously not read source-changes or pkgsrc-changes just
recently.

Regards,
Alistair