Subject: Re: The NetBSD Logo at Wikipedia
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Christian Hattemer <c.hattemer@arcor.de>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 03/21/2006 16:58:47
On 20 Mar 2006, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> Reading the above link makes me believe that the NetBSD Logo does not
> get  Copyright protection in Germany, but would it make "public
> domain"(?). I understand that there's an option to get trademark
> protection for the  image in Germany, but as far as I know that is not
> filed (and won't happen  soon).

IANAL, too. According to my current knowledge it seems that the logo design
itself may be considered PD since it's a simple work that anybody could do.
As I mentioned before there could be very different opinons about this.
However it was reported that courts judge conservatively or deny copyright
in such cases.

I don't know about trademarks, but I would assume that options for a future
filing would not be changed.

> Following the believe that the NetBSD logo is not copyrighted in
> Germany,  I think that would suffice to display it in Wikipedia (as you
> said). Is that correct?

I think so. Wikipedia also seems to have adopted this viewpoint recently. So
I'll try an upload soon.

Bye, Chris