Subject: Re: The NetBSD Logo at Wikipedia
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Christian Hattemer <c.hattemer@arcor.de>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 03/15/2006 12:43:04
On 14.03.06 Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> I saw that the NetBSD logo still isn't listed on Wikipedia.de, while
> OpenBSD and DragonflyBSD have their logos listed (and for FreeBSD the
> 'old' logo is).

Well, they have less restrictive (and much less clearly specified) licences,
so there's less of a problem there.

> Do you happen to know if anything came out of the discussion?

Not much news. Wikipedia policy has remained.

The only way I see is assuming that the image itself does not meet the
threshold of originality. It has turned out that it's a difficult question
to decide whether or not the threshold has been met because any related
party could plausibly argue for their position.

It seems a definite answer is only possible in court. However from looking
at various designs that were considered by others not to meet threshold and
recent discussions it seems that most logos do not meet it. See there:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sch%C3%B6pfungsh%C3%B6he#Werke_der_angewandten_Kunst

Since the NetBSD logo consists of the simple typographic design reading
"NetBSD" and an abstract image of a flag it seems to fit well in that
category.

As stated previously this consideration doesn't touch other rights
(trademark law etc.) connected to the logo.

Since we have consent that the logo should be displayed at Wikipedia I think
the main point to discuss now is how to get it past the peer reviews there
and not so much about licensing issues of the logo itself. What do you
think?

I think with the above points it should be possible to get it there without
giving up rights or rights that possibly don't even exist.

I've already toyed with the idea to upload the image using
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorlage:Bild-PD-Markenrecht and a link to the
license on NetBSD.org.

Bye, Chris