Subject: Network data transfer speed (was: [fwd: NetBSD Live CD])
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <>
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/30/2006 12:58:41

On Friday, 20 January 2006 at 19:31:26 +0100, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 04:58:55PM -0500, Jan Schaumann wrote:
>>> famous cousins. Did you know that NetBSD recently broke and still holds
>>> the record for network data transfer speed? Read about the achievement.
>>> And what about speed and scalability? Note the first item of the "News"
>>> section:-)
> AFAIK, Ragge's Employer+NetBSD broke it twice, and some team using Linux
> regained it twice. But I guess he can tell more accurate.

It looks like Linux is set to move ahead.  Last week, at the in Dunedin, New Zealand, Van Jacobson presented a
"modest proposal to help speed up and scale up the linux networking
stack" (  He's
planning to put up the slides, but I don't see them yet.

Basically, his idea amounts to a complete redesign of the network
stack architecture, moving most of the code into userland and
eliminating the two-stage transfer to the user.  He showed results
that used only 20% as much processor time and ran twice as fast
(limited by the wire, not the software).  Very impressive.

I asked him if he would be prepared to supply details to the BSD
projects, and yes, he is.  I'd suggest that this is a "must examine"
thing, and I'll post more as soon as it's available.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (FreeBSD)