Subject: Re: updated NetBSD hardware lists
To: Magnus Eriksson <magetoo@fastmail.fm>
From: Stefan 'Kaishakunin' Schumacher <stefan@net-tex.de>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 11/15/2005 21:05:20
--MnLPg7ZWsaic7Fhd

Also sprach Magnus Eriksson (magetoo@fastmail.fm)
> On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, St=E9phane Witzmann wrote:
>=20
> [...]
>=20
>   The user will have to provide the relevant info then, that shouldn't be=
=20
> a big problem.  It's usually what people mention first anyway ("I finally=
=20
> got my XYZ card working ...")
>=20
>   I still think there should be a central point for it, other than=20
> "somewhere in the list archives".  Granted, having a non-discussion=20
> mailing list just for announcing successes could be just that central=20
> point.
>=20
>   I still prefer a cathegorized (if that's the word) list though.  :-)

1.) Just collecting dmesg like NYCBug does, isn't enough, the dmesg
	must be commented.

2.) A Wiki is IMO not the best form to collect data, it is to
	unorganized.=20

3.) A categorized list is imo the best way. The list can be maintained
	as database, as described in [1].
	A hardware list is a perfect example for object-relational modelling,=20
	you can use inheritance at its best.=20

=09
However, the biggest problem is user action, if no one delivers data,
the shiny new database is useless.

=09
[1] http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2005/06/07/0001.html

--=20
PGP FPR: CF74 D5F2 4871 3E5C FFFE 0130 11F4 C41E B3FB AE33
--=20
Der Geist des Kriegers sollte mit Beginn des Neujahrstages bis zum Ende=20
des Jahres vom Gedanken an seinen Tod beherrscht werden.

Daijouji Shigesuke in "Budo Shoshin Shuu"

--MnLPg7ZWsaic7Fhd

--MnLPg7ZWsaic7Fhd--