Subject: Re: Website design proposal
To: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 10/18/2005 09:19:46
On Fri, 14 Oct 2005, Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:

> keep in mind that the priority for the NetBSD Project website is
> accessibility, not eye candy.

I'd agree. But as it's presented (i.e., without, for the moment, taking
into account usability on Lynx, my phone, etc.), the new idea for the
site is more accessable. Here are some examples:

     * It's much easier to distinguish between the "news" area and the
     "standard description" area; if you're familiar with the site,
     you'll find the latest news headlines that you're looking for more
     easily than you will on the current site.

     * Information of lesser importance to new visitors, such as how many
     different languages our web site is available in, is hidden (by putting
     it in a dropdown). Yet the fact that other languages are available is
     still quite clear.

     * You're less likely to have to scroll to find an architecture you
     want, yet the impressive display of them still very effectively
     communicates a key feature of NetBSD: that it runs on a very large
     number of architectures.

I could go on, but overall, this is a better piece of graphic design
than our current site, in my opinion, and it's not about eye-candy.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org
      Make up enjoying your city life...produced by BIC CAMERA