Subject: Re: Website design proposal
To: Jacek Kutzmann <jacek@gdansk.int.pl>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@city-net.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 10/16/2005 22:47:01
On 2005-10-16 jacek@gdansk.int.pl wrote:

> http://manta.univ.gda.pl/~jkutzman/netbsd/site/1122.gif
> http://manta.univ.gda.pl/~jkutzman/netbsd/site/1122a.gif

  I still don't like the overall design, but I think adding three features
(with images) above the news is a great idea.  I like the 1122a binary
compatability image and your choice of features to promote (provided the
portability aspect is toned down in the main text).

* I like the blue color of the current site, but I wouldn't mind light
colored sidebars with colored headers.  This change could be made separate
from anything else.  A darker color for the headers might work well to
keep the logo as the brightest part of the page.

* I don't like the extra header at the top or the overall boxing.  I don't
think the NetBSD logo needs to be repeated.

* Is there any way to do multiple columns in a way that collapses on low
resolution displays?  If so, I think that would be fine, but otherwise it
would make the site much less readable at 640x480.

* The portability feature section should mention that you can turn used
previously-expensive hardware into servers providing greater reliability
than new commodity hardware.  NetBSD support of hardware tends to be based
on capability more than time and the single source tree means minimal
effort is needed to keep previously working hardware current WRT the rest
of the system.

* I would add interoperability to the main text instead of portability,
since portability is already overemphasised elsewhere and interoperability
is generally a more important consideration given the current hardware
market.

* If the toaster image is used (I like it), it should link to the
explanation.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@city-net.com