Subject: Re: Website design proposal
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@cs.stevens.edu>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 10/14/2005 11:01:12
On 14-Oct-05, at 10:43 AM, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Oct 2005, Jacek Kutzmann wrote:
>> http://manta.univ.gda.pl/~jkutzman/netbsd/netbsdsite.gif
> Looks nice, I have two comments:
>  * the grey bars left and right are a BIG waste of screen estate,
> aid I'd
>    rather see them go away
>  * There's no "last modified" as on the bottom of the current page
>
> What I also wonder is, is there some easy(!) way to get this design
> over all our translations (htdocs/*/index.html), using XML magic?
>
> And also, the question if this still works with links/lynx etc. is
> open.

I've said it before and I'll bore everyone by repeating it...

Our webpage has always been hard to navigate quickly.

When I go to a webpage I look for one of the following keywords to
jump out at me:

- Products
- Support
- Download
- Datasheets

On ours, only 'Support' is conspicuous.  "Products" is not really
relevant, nor is "Datasheets" but "Download" is not there. We have
"Distribution" which is somewhat ambiguous.  We also
have "Information" which I'd say is redundant because the whole page
offers "Information" and not just that section.

On the right side, "Architectures" should actually say "Architectures
(xx)" where "xx" is how many... Just a nit.