Subject: Of course it runs NetBSD?
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 08/07/2005 03:57:25
In his article about the current state of the Linux kernel[0], Geoff
Broadwell writes ``Linux now supports more devices on more platforms than
any other operating system ever (Linux passed NetBSD last year, an
impressive achievement)''.

My question in that context is: What is that "Linux" that's supporting all
these devices? Is it what everyone can grab on kernel.org? Or is it just a
term for a set of operating system kernels that behave roughly the same on
all platforms they run? Or do they really all run kernels from the same
sources? Reminds me of my musing about portability[1] some time ago... is
Linux (the kernel) really there were NetBSD is today?

What are your thoughts? Anyone know Linux good enough?

  - Hubert

[0] http://www.onlamp.com/pub/wlg/7506
[1] http://www.feyrer.de/NetBSD/blog.html#20050807_0340