Subject: two articles about Xen
To: None <port-xen@NetBSD.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 03/26/2005 00:27:54
[From my weblog, http://www.feyrer.de/NetBSD/blog.html]

1) Xen: a greater threat to Microsoft than Linux?

We all know that it isn't Linux (alone :) to kick Microsoft's behind, and
this article[1] describes how hardware vendors like Intel and AMD are
building virtualisation support into their CPUs which may take a lot of
burden from Xen, and Operating Systems supporting these CPUs will
eventually be ready for virtualisation for free. Including Microsoft
Windows. Which may not exactly please a vendor who's working on bringing
its own product for virtualisation to market. There's a lot of water to go
down the Danube until all this happens, and only time will tell if Xen
lives up to the expectations put into it, but we can stay tuned for NetBSD
being part of that future.

[1] http://blogs.zdnet.com/Research/index.php?p=123

2) NetBSD Unix Supports Xen Virtualization

This IT Jungle article[2] tells about how Ian Pratt started Xen, their
history and background, how the newly-incorporated company behind Xen
(XenSource) was funded, compares against VMware's ESX and GSX servers and
how Microsoft Windows may run on Xen in the long run even without
Microsoft's support. NetBSD's Thor Lancelot Simons is quoted for details
on NetBSD's use of Xen on project machines, and Manuel Bouyer is mentioned
for his big amount of work he put into Xen 2.0 support. The article ends
with an outlook on Xen 3.0 and 4.0.

[2] http://www.itjungle.com/tug/tug032405-story01.html

  - Hubert

--
NetBSD - Free AND Open!      (And of course secure, portable, yadda yadda)