Subject: Re: CDDL (was Re: Star & NetBSD)
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Christoph Leuzinger <chris+ml@westworks.ch>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/11/2005 17:45:52
Hello,

I don't know if I got this right, but I'm trying to explain how I
understand the case. :-)

Am 11.02.2005 17:17 schrieb Joerg Schilling:
> David Maxwell <david@vex.net> wrote:
>> You cut out section 3.1, so I'll repeat it.
>>
>> "Any Covered Software that You distribute or otherwise make available
>> in
>> Executable form must also be made available in Source Code form and
>> that
>> Source Code form must be distributed only under the terms of this
>> License."
>
> Looks like you omit 3.9 in order to "prove" your false claim about the
> viral nature of the CDDL.

I guess you mean 3.6:

"3.6. Larger Works.

You may create a Larger Work by combining Covered Software with other
code not governed by the terms of this License and distribute the
Larger Work as a single product. In such a case, You must make sure the
requirements of this License are fulfilled for the Covered Software."

I think this requires the "Larger Work" to be distributed with the
source code of the parts that are governed by the CDDL. Plus, if you
make changes to the parts covered by the CDDL you'll have to make these
available to the public.

So, it's kinda compatible with the BSD License. Or isn't it?

Regards,
Christoph