Subject: Re: Star & NetBSD
To: Joerg Schilling <schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/10/2005 21:57:39
Hi!

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Last night, I did convert star from a GPL tool into a CDDL
> tool. This now makes star compliant with the BSD philosophy.
> Is there a chance to have star integrated into NetBSD?

This question should be discussed on tech-userlevel@, netbsd-advocacy@ is
for advocacy of the NetBSD operating systems.

Issues I see are:
  * what is star? (I can only guess it's some Super-tar)
  * why would it be better to replace the existing "pax" (which is defined
    in SUSv3)? tar and cpio are only frontends to pax in NetBSD.
  * I'm not convinced the CDDL is free of problems. I know you thinkg
    different, and I'd really love to hear more opinions on this (should
    probaby be discussed on this list).

FWIW, there is already a package for star in pkgsrc/archivers/star, so
people have an way to install star easily on NetBSD if they want it.

  - Hubert

--
NetBSD - Free AND Open!      (And of course secure, portable, yadda yadda)