Subject: Re: anoncvs problems
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@tac.gw.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/14/2005 13:14:41
In article <20050114010110.GN1991@arwen.poofy.goof.com>,
Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com> wrote:
>On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 08:45:26AM -0500, Christos Zoulas wrote:
>> In article <20050113054450.GT325@azeotrope.org>,
>> Dave Huang  <khym@azeotrope.org> wrote:
>> >
>> >So is anoncvs officially available now? The netbsd-announce message
>> >said it would be "unvailable until further notice," but I haven't
>> >seen any further notice on announce. Just wondering if it's safe to
>> >cvs update again...
>>
>> We are still testing it, but we believe that the hardware problems are
>> gone.
>
>what steps have been taken to ensure that this won't happen again?

What does `this' mean in the current context:

a. The machine will not develop hardware problems in the future?
b. The anoncvs service will not be disrupted in the future?

Ideally we would have at least 2 anonymous cvs servers at two different
geographic locations that were completely synchronized. This is difficult
to achieve under the current budget and manpower constraints. So, we have
replaced the hardware and we hope that it does not fail again in the near
future. The machine had been working in the past for at least two years,
so we hope that it will not break again anytime soon.

As always donations are welcome so that we can buy more equipment and
provide better service.

As you may know, we've had 2 complete machine failures (unrelated
to anoncvs) this year alone and we had to purchase 2 new servers
for release engineering and nightly builds. We also has numerous
ATA disk failures [the disks have been replaced with SATA since]
on our servers. To make a long story short, hardware has not been
nice to us in 2004 and our systems administration staff worked long
hours to fix all these problems.  We hope things are better in 2005.

christos