Subject: Re: We have an image problem...
To: Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.es.eu.org>
From: Zach Crisler <zcrisler@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/07/2005 07:57:47
On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 12:20:33 +0100, Miguel Mendez
<flynn@energyhq.es.eu.org> wrote:
> Well, I don't see how that's NetBSD's fault. I mean, Linus is probably a
> good hacker, but he has shown several times that he has a very myopic
> vision of what OS development is about. If it's not Linux then it's
> wrong, bad or both. So why should NetBSD users care about this guy's
> opinion? It's a problem I've seen a lot of times with Linux users.

I would normally say that Linus is just ranting, so leave it at that
(as Herb Peyerl suggested).  But Linux is getting so much press
nowadays...his opinion matters because it gets published and read by A
LOT of people--it then becomes their opinion.

> The point I want to make is, if people like that guy can't (or don't
> want to) think for themselves, it shouldn't be NetBSDers job to fix
> that. I'd rather have those guys running Linux :)

So we recognize their ignorance only to leave it unrectified?

> Then he is uninformed and should do some research before commenting.

_So sue him for slander?_

> 99% of the people I know who run NetBSD found out about it themselves.
> How could NetBSD be 'sold' to others, that's an interesting question.
> Who should be the target, Linux users? FreeBSD users? Old unix users?

Good question!  How and to whom?

-Zach