Subject: Solaris becoming free a good thing for *BSD?
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 11/22/2004 17:50:33
This is not a troll, honest.

I just read something in the news about one of the benefits of using
Solaris instead of Linux, now that it is free and available for
cheaper hardware, is that the operating system "comes from one source
of experienced and well respected developers". The unspoken
alternative being that Linux seems to be sort of a collage of code
coming from all over the place and sort of put together by someone you
don't necessarily know of.

Hmm, this sounds familiar doesn't it?

Not bagging Linux here, but this has always been one of the reasons I
use *BSD: The fixes come from a single source, and often times the
person posting the fix is the person who wrote the code, committed it
to the tree, and will discuss it's ramifications on the mailing lists.
I like this. It adds order where Linux seems too much like chaos.

Could this be a good thing for the *BSDs?

Andy