Subject: Re: Desktop-oriented Live CD
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Bruno <nc41530a@vizzavi.pt>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 11/18/2004 16:01:45
Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, Bruno wrote:
>
>>> - Hubert (looking forward for 2.0 _finally_ getting out, so that
>>> Desktop-oriented Live CD lying around here can be released, too)
>>

>> Sure would like to know a bit more about that one :)
>> Will disk-install be an option?
>

> No, as that would defeat the purpose of the Live-CD (sort of).
> The author of the Live CD said it wouldn't be much of a problem to
> install a system from the CD, but the option was not added.
>
> The CD is ready & done for some time now, I would prefer to wait with
> releasing it until 2.0 is really out though.
>
> A german language version of the CD (the one I got is in english) is
> available for purchase in the 5/04 issue of the german "freeX"
> magazine, see http://www.cul.de/data/freex52004inh.pdf. An article
> (german language) on the CD is online here:
> http://www.cul.de/data/freex52004inh.pdf, the print version has more
> information on the CD.
>

>  - Hubert

KDE 3.2.2, Gimp, Sodipodi, Mozilla.
Pentium with 128 MB RAM required.

Meanwhile, I've just downloaded the RC5 ISO from

http://netbsd.student.utwente.nl/NetBSD-2.0_RC5-iso/i386/NetBSD-2.0_RC5-i386.iso

and will try it at work under QEMU (host WinXP). Already tried NetBSD
1.6.2 but it lacked a portuguese keymap. Performance was minimally
acceptable on a Celeron 1.5 GHz with 512 MB RAM, 128 MB reserved for QEMU.

Cheers,
Bruno