Subject: Re: Just saw the new logo...
To: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
From: Mirko Thiesen <thiesi@NetWorkXXIII.de>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 10/31/2004 22:38:18
On Sun, 31 Oct 2004, Mike Cheponis wrote:

> I agree. I was underwhelmed.  The flag looks medieval.  This logo captures
> NOTHING of what NetBSD stands for, except giving its name.
>
> Why do people who know how to write code think they know anything about
> marketing, art, or logo-picking?
>
> I would like to say this right now:  I think the logo choice stinks, and I think
> it should be changed to something better before this disaster of a logo gets
> spread around.  (BTW, I'm not dissing the logo creators, not at all!  I'm
> dissing the secret, obviously sub-optimal, non-NetBSD way the logo was chosen.)
>
> -Mike

While I feel the logo does not really represent NetBSD, I understand that
this probably a hen-egg problem, as many well-known logos would only be
associated with their products because of expensive commercials.

The only question about the whole logo thing I still have is the
following:

If the logo was announced only recently, why has it been used in freeX (a
German computer magazine about Un*x, Linux, and BSD -
http://www.CUL.de/freex.html) for a presentation of NetBSD 2.0 almost one
month ago?

Bye, K&K,
T-Zee
--
thiesi@NetWork23.Sytes.NET ---- NetBSD: Power to the people!
Tel.: ++49-(0)171-416 05 09 -- Fax: ++49-(0)171-134 16 05 09