Subject: Re: Just saw the new logo
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Christian Biere <christianbiere@gmx.de>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 10/31/2004 18:28:46
--3V7upXqbjpZ4EhLz

[Sorry, for replying out of the thread. I've read this through the web
interface and there's no Message-ID.]

For what it's worth,

I do like the new logo. Sure it's nothing exciting but it's calm and easy
on the eye. It has a far more professional character than any animal or
daemon (and those are actually *mascots* NOT *logos*). It's minimalistic
but clean and sober appearance represents NetBSD quite well. There isn't
anything shiny about it. Just like the flag it's just there and accomplishes
its purpose perfectly. Consider the logos of IBM, Coca-Cola or MacDonald's -
they're all blatant simple and boring to the point of being uncreative.
Nonetheless, *everybody* knows them. After all it's the recognition factor
that matters, not how *exciting* or uber-cool a logo is.

I don't see why the logo should be political incorrect. It seems like the
current one is. You can be political incorrect all day long and I doubt
anyone would censor your posts to the NetBSD mailinglists if they contained
political incorrect statements. NetBSD is an operating system, not a politi=
cal
or social device. If you want to make this world a better place, no logo
will help you at all. You'll have to show far more courage than putting a
sticker on your car, but true democracy is rare and people are bitter
about politics b/c even if based on the right believes things go downhill
over time. However, such issues are completely unrelated to NetBSD and it
shouldn't be misused for *any* political issues.

IMHO, you may consider the flag being a victory sign in a non-arrogant
"BTDT - what's next?" way. That's just my personal opinion as a NetBSD
user. It would be nice to read what the logo's author had in mind, though.

--=20
Christian

--3V7upXqbjpZ4EhLz

--3V7upXqbjpZ4EhLz--