Subject: Joint BSD booth at Systems 2004 - short retrospective
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 10/27/2004 22:46:13
    * Joint BSD booth at Systems 2004 - short retrospective

    So Systems 2004 is over, and there was joint BSD booth with OpenDarwin,
    NetBSD, FreeBSD and OpenBSD. The OpenDarwin guys showed DarwinPorts, a
    pkgsrc-lookalike for MacOS X (and others?). At the NetBSD table, the
    usual slideshow was running on my Shark, a laptop (kindly borrowed by
    Toshiba - thanks!) with latest GNOME and OpenOffice, and another
    Toshiba-laptop with emulation stuff - Bochs, VMware, Kirster's arm32
    crosscompile and NetBSD/vax running in simh on the console, making a
    fine VAX-laptop. We also had the usual slew of CDs (including a
    preview of the NetBSD 2.0 Live CD), t-shirts, flyers, pins & badges.

    The space we had was part of the Open Source booth, and it nice to
    share it with Debian, Skolinux, the Linux Porting Project, KDE and
    OpenOffice. Also, food'n'drinks were donated by Klaus Brantl and
    DEAM.org[1], small "Shuttle PCs" for extra show-and-tell (that didn't
    run any BSD thanks to NVidia ethernet etc.) were available by MSC[2],
    mostly used by the Linux guys (and as monitor for the Shark :). Also
    lots of thanks to DaNiel Ettle who organzized the space for the BSD
    projects and helped man the both, as well as Dennis Wecker who was in
    charge of the NetBSD booth for the better part of the week, with lots
    of help from (among others) Michael van Elst, S.P.Zeidler, DaNiel
    Ettle, Stefan `sec` Zehl, Ernst Winter, Philipp Buehler, Wim
    Vandeputte and probably many others I forgot! (Lame excuse: I wasn't
    there all the week myself! :/)

    Finally, a group-picture[3] is available!

    [1] http://www.deam.org/
    [2] http://www.xpc-online.de/
    [3] http://www.eperm.net/~dennis/bsdgroup.jpg

(Source: http://www.feyrer.de/NetBSD/blog.html#20041027)