Subject: Re: NetBSD review by Paul Webb
To: Johan A.van Zanten <johan@giantfoo.org>
From: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@apk.od.ua>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 10/22/2004 10:02:56
On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:21:46 -0500 (CDT)
"Johan A.van Zanten" <johan@giantfoo.org> wrote:

[snip]
> 2) What's the best way to propagandize?
[snip]
> #2 is much harder.  What would be good?  Comparisons of performance,
> usability, and security? pkgsrc?  Things change pretty quickly in the BSD
> worlds.  I think it would be a constant endeavor to stay abreast of the
> diffs between the BSDs.
[snip]
> Personally, the last time i made this decision in 2001, i chose NetBSD
> over the other options for two reasons:
>
> 1) I run on sun4m and Alpha, which excludes FreeBSD (lack of sun4m).
>    OpenBSD's Alpha port seemed kind of shakey the last i looked at it.
>
> 2) I prefer the tone of the interaction in NetBSD over OpenBSD.
>
>  I have other reasons for prefering *BSD over Linux, Solaris, etc.

Well, I found people use some tools because they feel that that tools
are just more simple to maintain for them. For example, in interview
with Luke Mewburn he said that prefers IPF rather OpenBSD PF "probably
because [he] know Darren Reed personally so [he] can ask him IPF
questions in person" (http://os.newsforge.com/os/04/03/02/1946219.shtml).

And this is a very good view point. If Linux have a more advanced
support for some features and used much widely rather NetBSD, that is
not a reason to use Linux on my systems, so as I'm feel myself more
experienced with NetBSD and thus I can solve the same problems more
quickly and effectively.

--
Mishka.