Subject: Re: NetBSD review by Paul Webb
To: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 10/20/2004 15:15:49
On 20-Oct-04, at 3:08 PM, Andy Ruhl wrote:
> There seems to be this sense among people that if you don't have some
> obsure platoform, then there's no reason to use NetBSD. Where does
> this come from?

It's a notion that started as an incorrect meme and turned into a truth
when we didn't do anything to actively dispell it.

> There's also some other sense that, since OpenBSD was spawned from
> NetBSD, NetBSD must be insecure. Where does this come from?

Because The0 said it was so enough times that his legions of 12 yr old
fans started chanting it, and we didn't do anything to dispell the
notion.   Once it became so ingrained, then even when openbsd bugs
appear, that don't exist in Net/Free, and were fixed back in the late
80's in other distributions; it doesn't matter because everyone is so
blind to "the truth" that any further truths are irrelevant.