Subject: Re: handling copyright/license infringement
To: netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org, Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
From: Ian Zagorskih <ianzag@megasignal.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 09/18/2004 13:38:32
On Saturday 18 September 2004 05:11, Andy Ruhl wrote:
> No it wasn't.
>
> This may sound particularly pessimistic, but this just seems like
> another lame attempt by a self righteous do gooder to "GPLize"
> everything in their path. Maybe this isn't the case, I don't know...
>
> Is it just me, or is there actually a movement out there to take a
> program, decide that the license isn't GPL, then either steal it and
> call it GPL, or rewrite it and call it GPL. Just for the belief that
> GPL licensed code is inherntly better than other code? I see this sort
> of attitude in stuff people write all over the net, as if the only
> correct way for software to exist is under the GPL, so all software
> must be somehow converted to GPL. The above seems to be just one more
> example of it.
>
> Sorry to hijack the thread. I'm not trying to be a troll, honest. G4U
> is cool and it's a shame this had to happen.

Interesting thread. I have one question: let's say i wrote some code/app/etc
and want to release it under BSD license. For example, taken from NetBSD
code:

---cut---
 * are met:
 *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
 *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
 * 3. Neither the name of the University nor the names of its contributors
 *    may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
 *    without specific prior written permission.
---cut---

I want to make my work to be rally free for use by other people. From my
personal point of view, BSD license almost exactly does this and GPL license
heavily restricts my rights. Question is: may i add 4th statement like:

4. This source code may not me be distributed under other license.

Well, probably this statement isn't clear but i all want is to be sure, that
my code will be always really free for any usage including commercial and
will be licensed the way i desided to and nobody will fork it under
GPL/LGPL/<you name>.

// wbr