Subject: handling copyright/license infringement
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 09/16/2004 16:52:11
OK, this isn't strictly about NetBSD, but about an (open source) product I
made, based on NetBSD, and released under a standard BSD license:

Today, I found out that someone took the core parts of said software,
adjusted it to run on Linux (not much to do - it was mostly shell
scripts), removed all traces of my name and license on the original
software, and instead put his own name in and put everything under the
GPL.

I asked what's going on, and as a reply I was told that the scripts were
not based on mine - something rather easy to prove wrong when looking at
them (differences are mostly renamed variables, removal of my name; same
code structure, even in help messages, etc.).

Now my question is, how does one handle such infringement of copyright and
licensing? I don't have any money to bring this to court, nor would I
really want to... It's both open source projects, but is asking for credit
where credit is due too much? Can everyone steal intellectual property
today in the name of the GPL?

 - Hubert

--
                         ,,_