Subject: Re: A random thought.
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 07/01/2004 10:24:08
On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 08:49:09AM -0600, Herb Peyerl wrote:
 [...]
> I'm thinking there are nice portable USB CF readers available, or even
> better, a USB keychain, if one could convince the host to boot off your
> USB keychain.

That's the kind of thing that I had in mind.  Boot a kiosk machine.
Boot a shared office machine.  Boot a library machine.  Have it come
up your way, with your tools and your configs.  Do your stuff.

Someone else has mentioned keeping CD's (or bootable solid state)
for diagnostics.

The (maybe) useless-geeky part of this idea is supporting multiple
architectures.  Most random machines you run into in the wild are
probably i386s.  But exploiting NetBSD's wide system support would
be a nice touch.  One set of system configs and one version (different
archs) boots "the same" OS which has the same behavior, no matter
what hardware you boot from your keychain.  (This is why I posted
to -advocacy, rather than -help or -users.  (^&)