Subject: Re: Upcoming 2.0-RELEASE
To: Daniel de Kok <danieldk@pobox.com>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 05/18/2004 03:20:09
On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 09:06:34AM +0200, Daniel de Kok wrote:
> On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 08:23:38AM +0200, ivo.schmagler@arcor.de wrote:
> > I'm not sure if this is the right list to ask this question, but how come
> > the next release is named 2.0-Release instead of 1.7? NetBSD has always
> > been very 'conservative' with version numbers, so what are the major
> > breakthrough changes that justify taking this step?
>
> In my opinion the amount of progression justifies a major version bump.
> A short summary:
>
> * native threads
> * kqueue
> * systrace
> * UFSv2

Isn't saying we support UFSv2 mostly untrue at this point? We don't support
ACLs or any of the stuff FreeBSD's UFS2 has, as far as I've read. From what
I've read, our UFS2 support consists of being able to have much bigger
partitions, and that's it. Maybe I just haven't been paying attention...

> * verified exec
> * cgd
> * non-exec mappings
>
> A description of major new features can be found at:
> http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-whatsnew.html
>
> --
> Daniel de Kok <danieldk@pobox.com>

-Sean