Subject: Re: Sharing word processor docs with windows users
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Prazak <prazak_lists@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/27/2004 08:51:54
--- "Michael W. Lucas" <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org> wrote:

> But I use OpenOffice quite successfully to interoperate with the rest
> of my office, prepare sales presentations and quotes, and write
> policy
> documents.
>
> Of course, iirc, it only runs on i386, so that might be a problem on
> this list...

My Sun Ultra 30 read this and now its feeling are hurt...
OpenOffice.org/StarOffice work really well under Solaris/SPARC.
Searching netbsd.org for "openoffice" seems to reveal that there are
non-intel ports of OpenOffice.org for NetBSD, as well.

I second the notion in this thread that OpenOffice.org and StarOffice
are probably the best interoperability options, at the moment.  LaTeX
and Docbook are theoretically superior, but most people just want to
type, print, and turn in the report.  They don't have the patience to
learn a text-based version-control-compatible makefile-managable
ultra-portable stable-and-mature sytem like LaTeX.  One thing that
everyone might be able to agreee upon is rendering the final draft to
PDF (I would hope the instructor is at least sentient enough to not
request .doc files).

Matt