Subject: Re: Sharing word processor docs with windows users
To: Peter Bex <Peter.Bex@student.kun.nl>
From: None <grifo3000@interfree.it>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/25/2004 22:24:15
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:19:00 +0200
Peter Bex <Peter.Bex@student.kun.nl> wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> For university, I have to do quite some group-work.  For this, it is often
> necessary to share documents on which everyone can work for a bit and pass
> it on.
>
> I always get lots of heat from Windows users who say stuff like ``I should
> keep up with times [sic] and just install Windows/MS Office'' because I can't
> read Word .doc documents.
>
> My question is this: What do you guys use to communicate in the harsh
> reality where Windows & MS Office are the common thing?
>
> Regards,
> Peter

hi,
i think yours is a very common trouble for us.
personally, i prefer using simple command-line tools while i've to read some
shitly .doc files, and i redirect them on a .txt file with the following:

% catdoc text.doc > text.txt

rather than install and/or emulate some software like open/staroffice, or trying
to find harder solutions as html or tex.
you can find catdoc(1) in the pkgsrc collection, under pkgsrc/textproc/catdoc.

byebye
g.

--
barzelletta: che differenza c'e' tra chgrp e chmod?
man chgrp>1; man chmod>2; diff -u 1 2 | less