Subject: kudos.
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 03/25/2004 10:06:53
So, at one of my jobs, I needed to build two machines.  One was a
'build machine' for the company's product, the other was an Amanda
server.  Both are more or less the same hardware, except the former
needed to run Gentoo Lignux, and the Amanda server was my choice.

So I downloaded the latest 'gentoo live CD', and downloaded the NetBSD
1.6.2 ISO. Burned them both, and got started.  I used 'sysinst' on
1.6.2 for probably the second or 3rd time in my life.  I have to say, I
was impressed.  I could only think of a couple minor improvements
(well, semi-major).  Anyway, within about 7 minutes, I had the NetBSD
machine booted off disk and running.  The gentoo machine was still
fumbling along and I was meticulously following the micro-steps
involved in getting the distribution off CD and onto disk.  So while
the NetBSD machine downloaded a -current snapshot from
releng.netbsd.org, I watched the Gentoo machine try to bootstrap
itself.  It's amazing just how much of the work you have to do to
install Lignux.  At least this species of Lignux.  You have to fdisk,
make filesystems, mount, copy the dist off CD, chroot, untar, edit a
hundred files, build a kernel.  Then you have to recompile everything,
and _then_ you still have to download/build cron, syslog, sshd, etc.

By the end of the day, the NetBSD-current machine was already running
amanda dumps to hard-disk and the gentoo machine wouldn't even boot
itself.  Turns out a few of the steps in their online documentation are
incorrect so now I have to screw with the worst bootloader in the world
(grub) and try to figure out what's wrong.

Yay NetBSD!  Linux sucks!