Subject: Re: NetBSD Logo - Daemon/Devil?
To: None <>
From: Jason Thorpe <>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/24/2004 08:24:09

On Jan 24, 2004, at 8:14 AM, <> wrote:

> I was just wondering what the little daemon/devil has to do with
> NetBSD? What was the reason behind using them?

The little devil character has been traditionally associated with BSD.
I believe it was John Lasseter who first drew it for the cover of the
printed BSD manuals, quite some time ago (I still have mine in a box in
the attic ... somewhere).  "The Unix daemon."  (daemon being both a
protective angel and those funny programs that detach from their
controlling terminals to perform system functions.)

         -- Jason R. Thorpe <>

content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (Darwin)