Subject: Re: NetBSD logo design competition (updated, with corrections)
To: None <>
From: Tim Rightnour <>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/19/2004 01:06:45
On 18-Jan-04 wrote:
> You know, the mascot of Duke University is a devil. I've never heard anyone
> seriously upset about this, and I think I've only once heard about anyone
> slightly upset. Duke's mascot is usually drawn with sharp points so it
> looks angry (not cute like Beastie).  Really, the "Duke Blue Devil" (yes,
> they even use the word "devil") doesn't seem to be a problem.

As is the ASU Sun Devil.  When the pope came to visit many years ago.. there
was talk of changing it.  The story I heard was that he said it didn't bother

I think realistically though.. religion is probably low enough on the list of
reasons to dump the iwo-daemon it shouldn't have been mentioned.  There are
much more valid reasons for replacing the logo, even if you get rid of all the
"who will it insult next" reasons.

Tim Rightnour <>
NetBSD: Free multi-architecture OS
NetBSD supported hardware database: