Subject: potential reason for changing the logo.
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/15/2004 09:41:18
I hope this isn't inappropriate. I'm on the www@ internal list which
is where site feedback ends up.  This just appeared. I've stripped
off any identifying marks...

-----
I am interested in using your OS for several handheld
devices at work, but am concerned about the logo on your
site.

You see, I have to 'sell' the idea to higher management,
and your logo would be...a little too radical, too
rebellious I suppose, for their tastes. The browser text
only version would raise eyebrows about why this was used.

I was wondering if you have any ideas about how to approach
this matter...is there anything I can do to remove just it?

This may seem silly, I suppose, but you don`t know my
bosses!
---

fwiw, I run a company that has, ummm, an interesting logo, mascot,
and graphic... Geeks love it, but potential investors are turned
off, and we have, on at least several occasions that we know of,
turned off management types from buying our product due solely to
our logo and graphic... While it's all fine and dandy to stick by
your principles, if you want to eat, you have to accomodate your
customers.  Turning off 1 or 2 may not be as big a deal but if
you're turning away dozens, it's something to concern yourself
with.

Geeks can buy one or two of my product, but when it comes to
justifying the purchase of 100, they need to get management
buy-in. If the site turns off management, then we lose.

---
Beheading servers since 1999 -- The PC Weasel! http://www.realweasel.com