Subject: Re: NetBSD logo design competition [From current-users]
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Daniel de Kok <daniel@evilbsd.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/14/2004 11:03:30
On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 10:44:01AM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Herb Peyerl wrote:
> > 'Daemons "ok" but not distinctly NetBSD".  We have enough problems
> > being confused with FreeBSD.
>
> What problems?
>
> I'd prefer to see the daemon stay, because
>  * we get BSD brand recognition for free
>  * it's cute

I fully agree. Some time ago I bought a few keyfobs from scotgold.com to
do some NetBSD/*BSD promotion. I sold most keyfobs to Linux and Windows
users, because they all think daemons are cool and tough and penguins are
nerdish (no offence to Linux, but that's what I heard;).

I don't know wheter it causes confusion or not. But I think most users with
the expertise to run BSD are wise enough to look at the "BSD flavors" and
look for themselves. One of the advantages of the current logo is IMHO
is that it is very recognizable and differs enough from the FreeBSD daemon.

With kind regards,
Daniel de Kok

BTW. If I had to choose something else I have to say that I really like
the Wasabi ninja daemon ;).