Subject: Re: how many hardware architectures supported by BSD kernels?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Erik Berls <cyber@ono-sendai.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 10/18/2003 10:52:33
On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 12:19:41AM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
] On another list, we're having a discussion about the best license to use
] for some government. It lead to Linux kernel versus BSD kernel in that I
] was told that Linux has been ported to more hardware platforms (as well as
] supported by more independent developers, more commercial companies, and
] big survey firms reporting about Linux's great growths and BSD doesn't
] exist (according to surveys)).
]
] I was told that if NetBSD has been ported to it then Linux is there as well.
]
] I estimated around 55 hardware architectures (for NetBSD).
]
] I was told that Linux has all 55 of those.
]
] Plus 28 more PDAs (not running BSD I was told).
] http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT8728350077.html
]
] And 19 more single board computers :
] http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT8498487406.html
]
] And two wristwatches running Linux.
]
] And mainframes running Linux, like IBM 390 and IBM ZFrame.
]
] And eight robots, five smart cameras, four automotive telematics systems,
] and 12 other miscellaneous devices supported by Linux.
] http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT2478437967.html
]
] (And I was told that the references are out of date and missing other new
] entries.)
]
] I've heard that BSD kernels power printers, phone switches, hardware sent
] to Mars, storage devices, phones, and more.
]
] But where can I find a list of all BSD kernel powered architectures?
]
] If a list doesn't exist, please send me your notes and I will start
] compiling it.
]
] Also, is there a single NetBSD page that lists all the hardware for all
] the ports?

And, of those 55, one of those would be the mmeye, a controlable
camera, which I believe is pretty much an embeded device that was
designed with NetBSD.  I was not aware of Linux being ported to
it.  If this is the case then your Linux friend was just pulling
stuff straight out of his ass.

I know that Linux developers have gotten a hold of some NetBSD
based hardware and tried to do ports.  This was the case in which
a few Sharks were lent to someone for the purpose of regression
testing and the person turned around and gave it to the Linux
developer.  I don't know if it was ever finished before the developer
got himself killed.  (If you want more information about this
incident, contact me in private.)

The fact that Redhat is trying to depreicate architectures in GCC
and that NetBSD is the only OS stepping up to say "hey! we're still
using that!" means that Linux could not possibly be supported on
that arch.  If it was supported, there would have been an outcry
if the compiler stopped working.

The key issue is that how many of those "linux" ports are one offs?
From what I've heard of the Palm Pilot port, its been hacked down
so much and so much was replaced that it no longer is linux.  i.e.:
It's only linux in name.  A scatter shot of source trees, all highly
out of sync with one another with regard to features doesnt count.

The response to those people is: Give me *1* URL where I can download
the source code for all of that.

-=erik.
NetBSD: One source, one Truth.