Subject: Re: CeBIT America
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 03/15/2003 18:50:50
On 14.03.03, 19:21:38, Jan Schaumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While in Germany the CeBIT is still going on (and I understand that
> NetBSD is present there thanks to Hubert), I just noticed that there

Yes, Hubert got it going and I was in charge of actually going there and
I had a half-hour talk on NetBSD.

> will be 'CeBIT America' in the Javits Center in New York City from June
> 18th-20th:
>
> http://www.cebit-america.com
>
> We should try to be present there as well, I think.  Maybe the folks who
> represent NetBSD in Hannover have some suggestions as to how to improve
> our presence or how to better target CeBIT audience.

I doubt it's anything like _THE_ CeBit. About a dozen fairs around the
world have recently bought the right to use the name "CeBit" for their
fairs; it doesn't mean they have anything to do with it at all, let
alone be anywhere near the original's size (remember, this is not only
the largest IT fair in the world, but _The_Largest_Fair_. Period).

_If_ it's anything like CeBit, it is a serious business fair, suits and
ties are a must, if you want to be taken seriously by many visitors. (E.
g. no-one cared for the GNOME guys who appeared in Jeans and T-Shirt)

If you have been to the CCC: CeBit is the absolute opposite: well lit,
well ventilated, clean (almost aseptic), suits, big companies, ...

What we should do next time: bring _cheap_ CDs to give away, or for a
dollar (EUR) each. They could be without case, just a big stack and give
one to everyone interested.

Many people were not willing to spend EUR 35 on a system they were not
sure they were going to use.

And: be prepared to answer the question "What is the difference between
Linux and BSD?" and "What is the difference between FreeBSD and NetBSD?"
three hundred times each day without stopping smiling. :)

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: We come in peace. We offer reliability.
		-- David Maxwell