Subject: Re: NetBSD poster
To: Thomas Runge <coto@core.de>
From: grant beattie <grant@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/22/2003 10:13:41
[from netbsd-advocacy]

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 11:23:49PM +0100, Thomas Runge wrote:

> > That's "a reason", but perhaps not "reason enough". The argument about the
> > how the poster diverges from the website has some merit. Is there an
> > official "netbsd style-guide"?
>
> Not that I could find one. We really need a corporate design. Someone
> that pinpoints a style guide, fonts, colo(u)rs, logos. Ah, while
> we are at "logo". A nice NetBSD logo wouldn't hurt. Over the years
> I got comfortable with this civil war-like logo on our home page,
> but it's not appealing to non insider. Too complicated, no eye catcher.

I have started on somewhat of a "look and feel" (more look, at this
stage) for the web site as part of converting it to Docbook. The
NetBSD.css is used by only a couple of pages so far, eg.
www.netbsd.org/releng/ but I'm it sure could use some more work.

A better example of more styles being used is the work-in-progress
markup of pkgsrc/Packages.txt. The rendered version can be found at,

	http://211.28.135.246:8000/docs/Packages/Packages.html

being a WIP, it's still a bit messy .. ignore that :) the source is
also in that directory, for the curious. I've also started writing a
"styleguide", but it is more about how to write the (custom) Docbook
stuff, but it does talk about appearance too.

I tried to make the choice of colours something which attracts the
eye, but that does scatter the readers' attention away from the text.
The ideas for colours came from what we were already using on the
web site and I built on that a little.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Oh, and I very much like the daemons logo, but it is definitely
an acquired taste :) I agree something more appealing would be better
on the main page, but I don't think we should get rid of it entirely.

I also quite like the BSD daemon image used on slashdot. It's clean
and "unthreatening"... thoughts?

g.